This just happened to me on my 1 year old MacBook Pro, keyboard not detected. Fortunately I have USB a keyboard & mouse. Is it hardware or software?
What to do?
- Backup using Time machine.
- Deleted my old Anti-Virus
- Installed a new Anti-Virus
- Scan, nothing found.
- I updated my OS through the Store. No change.
- Apple support was not much help.
- Youtube has several videos that others found helpful, not me.
- Finally something that worked and it’s easy:
Reboot and hold Command & R to start the MacOS Utility. My keyboard and mouse started working. At this point it was clear that the problem was software. You must be connected to the internet.
I did not erase/format the disk.
Install a new version of the OS. It took about 1 hour and everything is working. No lost data. I have no Idea what caused the software to go bonkers.
If you are using a Windows keyboard